Thursday, July 02, 2009

Surgery

So yesterday I had a diagnostic laproscopy to figure out what was causing my abdominal pain. I showed up at 10:30 to the hospital and at 11:30 they took me up to pre-op where they started my IV, gave me some pre-meds to relax me, met the anesthesiologist and the last thing that I remember is being moved onto the OR table and having my arms stretched out to the sides and an oxygen mask placed over my face and being told to breathe deeply.

The next thing that I remember is waking up in post-op in a lot of pain. They'd given me some pain meds but apparently had to give me more but apparently the pain was from leftover air that they'd put in my abdomen to have space to work. Then it was down to the recovery unit to wait to go home. It turns out that I had an obturator hernia which is a rare form of a hernia that can form in the pelvic area and mine was either under or behind my fallopian tube and ovary on the left side. The general surgeon said that in his 15 years as a surgeon that he'd never seen one of them before. Luckily, my GYN was there to consult with the general surgeon on his plan for me. Also, my left ovary was stuck to my colon and they had to unstick that as well.

So now I'm home and recovering. The pain that's been plaguing me for these 3 weeks is gone. I just have post-op pain which is requiring just rest and medicine. I have 3 small incisions and they hurt but it'll get better.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 3:20 PM, Anonymous Daramis said...

Well, that sounds.... unfun.
But yay for finding out what was wrong and fixing it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home