Friday, July 27, 2007

The shoulder story

Years ago, as a swimmer, my shoulder would often hurt. No biggie. Ice and tiger balm seemed to fix it. Now, the past few weeks, my right shoulder feels like it's popping and grinding whenever I move my arm. It's quite painful. So it took me a week, but I got into my family doctor and as soon as he started feeling my shoulder and it did it's little popping trick, he asked if I'd ever seen an orthopedic surgeon. Referral granted, I headed into the orthopedic surgeon's office that my mom works for. He was examining my shoulder and it did it's little popping trick and he was all "What was that?" My x-ray was fine and it was suggested that back when I was swimming, that I possibly tore a muscle and when it healed, I got a build up of scar tissue around the shoulder blade and so now my shoulder blade doesn't move as smoothly as it should. So I'm now going to physical therapy.

Yesterday I had the evaluation for PT, in which the kind physical therapist yanked my arm around and took all kind of measurements and stuff, asking "Does this hurt?"

"Um no, I'm only wincing and saying 'OW' because I feel like it."

When the eval was over, the physical therapist suggested that not only was my problem muscular and that my entire back needed work strengthening, but that there was possibly a neurological problem as well, but that it couldn't be detected unless an MRI was done.

So we'll see what the next few weeks of PT brings.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home