Thursday, March 15, 2007

Inciting a riot

On Saturday my mom and I were at Target and we saw out of town hockey jerseys on people. I thought about what weekend it was and realized that the Puck of the Irish tournament was happening at the ice arena. That always brought back some interesting memories.

One of the first Puck of the Irish tournaments, there was a cotton candy sale to support the hockey association and since my dad was an officer on the board, my mom and I and my brother's best friend's mom were making cotton candy. They were short a scorekeeper for a game and since I'd scorekept games before, I volunteered.

Big mistake.

It was the worst game ever. It was penalty fest. By the third period there were constantly 2-3 people in each penalty box and it was hard to keep track of when the penaties started and expired because only two penalties can be running at once because a team can't have less than 3 men on the ice at one time.

This game was out of control. I'll always remember that finally the ref tossed someone in the box and told me "2 minutes for inciting a riot." I didn't know any better. That's what he told me the penalty was. So I wrote it on the scoresheet. By this time the column to write the penalties on was full, so I was scribbling penalties wherever I could find a spare inch on the scoresheet. I was never so glad to have a game end in my life.

The next time that I saw that ref at one of my brother's games told me that I shouldn't have written inciting a riot on the scoresheet.

Excuse me, but if you didn't want me to write it, don't tell me 2 minutes for inciting a riot.

I'll never forget that game.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home