Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Look ma, I can draw blood!

Well I huung a round with phlebotomy today. I attempted or started to attempt a lot of draws, but only got blood from 2 people.
Patient 1: Got blood on the first stick but slipped out of the vein and didn't fill the blue top tube enough, which absolutely has to be full. Tried on his other arm and missed the vein, but he was a good sport about it.
Patient 2: Couldn't find a vein, phlebotomist had to draw out of his wrist.
Patient 3: Alzheimer's patient, had to hold her arm down because she fights it.
Patient 4: IV in anticubital fossa of right arm, couldn't use left because of mastectomy, looked in the hand and couldn't find a vein I was confident about and it took the phleb 3 tries to get enough blood.
Patient 5: Stuck and drew 3 tubes of blood.
Patient 6: Chick in labor, I stepped up to her to draw her but she didn't want me to draw her because she was having a bad day, she had good veins though.
Patient 7: Preop, good veins, had the vein, went to stick the vein, vein disappeared.
Lots of patients: assisted the nurse in PICC line draws

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home