Sunday, August 15, 2004

There is no finish line until we find a cure

Was down at Relay for Life earlier. Haven't been able to go the last 2 years because of being an RA, but I was able to go down tonight for the Luminary Ceremony and then stick around some afterwards. The Luminary Ceremony is probably the most moving part of the entire event besides the survivors walk. Of course, you may be wondering why I was down there at all. My mom is a cancer survivor. She had thyroid cancer years ago (I don't remember how many years ago, but I think that I was in Jr High at the time.) I was thinking tonight that I'm so glad that it was just thyroid cancer because that's easily treatable. She didn't have to go through chemo, instead they just removed her thyroid and she went through radiation therapy. I just realized tonight, how lucky we are that it was such a treatable cancer, and that I still get to have all this time with my mom because it was so treatable and she's a cancer survivor. They showed the names of 3000 people tonight. And that was just the names of the people that had their names in by the August 1st deadline. That's a lot of people. That's a lot of cancer

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home