Sunday, April 25, 2004

The Road Not Taken

TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.


I just got back from the RA/Housing Services Banquet and one of the HDs read that poem by Rbert Frost. It really sums up my 2 years as an RA. Being an RA is not easy, and it's not always fun. It takes a special type of person to be an RA and I'm glad that the housing department at Ferris has given me the chance to be that kind of person and to develop the potential that they saw in me. I remember that when I came into this job, I was quiet and shy. Then last year began. oh what a year that it was. I came back expecting this year to be just as bad, but it wasn't. And now I feel like listing some things that I've learned as an RA.

1. If you're sleeping and not the duty RA, don't answer the phone. The university gives you voicemail for a reason, use it, otherwise you'll end up having to get up when you don't want to.
2. When you're in the middle of studying for a big test, the fire alarm will go off.
3. The fire alarm will go off. A lot.
4. Banana's can break windows.
5. Drunk college students do really stupid things.
6. The night that you have a really bad cold and want to go to bed at 10pm you will catch someone smoking pot on your last round of the evening.
7. You will get to know DPS very well.
8. Professors usually do understand when you say that you missed class because you're an RA
9. Sleep is precious
10. You don't get enough recognition
11. Whether you realize it or not, you do make a difference in someone's life.
12. You are appreciated

It's kind of hard to believe that I only have 2 weeks left as an RA. I'm going to miss travelling the road not taken.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home