Monday, September 15, 2003

So yesterday was the first time that I'd been back to church of my own free will and the first time that I'd gone to St Paul's again in about 6 weeks. So I went to the student mass at 5 and got a hug from Father Wayne. That's always a good kind of welcome. Apparently he'd been gone for a while, I don't know what happened but he was in a cervical collar and it was his first weekend back. Anyways, he didn't officiate mass, a visiting priest from Reed City did. He was a pretty interesting guy but the entire time I was thinking of how he reminded me of Ryan Stiles (The Drew Carey Show and Whose Line) with grey hair, that dude Eric from the move Billy Madison (you know, the one with no business ethics. I don't know why he reminded me of him, he just did) and someone high on helium. A very interesting combination to say the least. But all in all he did a good job. I think he gave the shortest sermon that I've ever heard. It was on how God's greatest gift to us is not His power or glory but His humility by giving us His son who died on the cross. Which considering it was the feast of the exultation of the cross or something like that, was a good sermon and made me think. Then after the service was over there was a pig roast. Now usually during the normal school year, the 5pm mass is considered the student mass and the parishoners take turns cooking a meal for the students, bringing a touch of home to school. This week was a potluck and pig roast and the ladies that were serving the pig just kind stuck their serving forks in the roasters and gave you a mountain of pork. It was a nice dinner, I met some new people and then 2 of the parishoners played the banjo and piano so it was a really lighthearted atmosphere. It was good to be back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home